Psalm 139:13-16

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Saturday, February 4, 2012

11 Months

Wow, time really does fly!  I cannot believe we are one month away from celebrating a certain little princess's birthday!!  I am SO thankful to God for blessing our lives with our precious little girl!  I am so thankful He chose us to be Grace's parents...what an honor!  He has truly blessed us.

*On a side note, I am planning a rainbow themed birthday party!  I am so excited!!  One of my friend's moms is making her birthday outfit!  I think you read the blog, Ms. Cindy, and I am so excited about and thankful for you making such a special outfit!  Also, I think we will really celebrate Saint Patrick's Day this year (I've never really been into celebrating this holiday), because Grace came home from the NICU on Saint Patrick's Day.  I think we should make that a tradition!

Ok, onto what our 11 month old is up to...

Well, it seems her growing is definitely slowing, although she is definitely still a chunky monkey!  She is still in size 4 diapers and size 12-18 month (and some 24 month) clothes.

I am transitioning her to eating 3 "meals" a day, which consist of baby food (mainly stage 2).  She will eat very little table food.  Her eating has been a source of stress for me because I know at one year, she should be transitioned to table food and feeding herself and drinking liquids other than formula, and using a sippy cup.  All of these things are a fail right now for us.  :(  She is very sensitive to new foods and textures, so she pretty much refuses anything new (although she does love puffs and melts).  She doesn't have the coordination to feed herself.  She refuses water and juice (she only likes formula).  And she totally refuses every sippy cup I've tried.  She also cannot hold her own bottle.  Ugh...this is a very stressful subject for me, but we are certainly working on things in OT, and recently I requested a referral for speech therapy (ST), so hopefully we can get on top of these issues soon.  To be honest, I'm really at a loss regarding what to do.  But I trust that God will give me the wisdom I need, and that Grace will progress with OT and ST in these areas.

Speaking of OT, Grace is progressing so well!  Our new main focuses are: getting her to hold objects for longer and getting her to be able to pick up and hold smaller objects.  Both of these goals are moving us toward her being able to feed herself.  And as far as PT goes, she really is doing good.  She hates (I mean HATES) PT.  She literally screams nearly the entire time we are there (we go once a week).  It is very hard to watch her be so upset, but I know that she is really fine, she is just mad.  I pretty much pray the entire time that I can be calm so that she doesn't feel my stress.  Our therapist is really pleased with how well she is doing despite how she acts in therapy.  We are working on balance, getting into a sitting position, and getting into a crawl position.  Our therapist says she has really done better and done everything faster than she thought she would.  Our hard work at home is paying off!!  We are STILL waiting on vision therapy.  And like I said earlier, we should start ST soon. 

A big new focus of mine is socialization for Grace.  She is very sensitive in new situations, so I am trying to be more purposeful in placing her in new situations (for example, playing with other children). 

Grace has recently said "momma" and "dadda," although she hasn't said them much since, and she certainly won't say them on command!  ha  She just grins at me when I say them to her because she knows she can say them.  This is such her personality!  She loves "patty cake" and will smile/laugh every time you sing it to her.  She has recently really found our dog, Maddy.  Her vision has really improved, and she is just discovering the world around her.  She LOVES her mobile above her crib (I think she just recently really saw it), and she has started watching TV. 

Ok, that's about all I can think of for now!!  I know I've left some things out, but maybe they aren't too important!  Enjoy the pictures below of our almost one year old!!  Aaahhh!!!!!!



9 comments:

  1. My daughter has a foster child that turns a year end of March.. He still isn't feeding hisself either and he hasn't had any of the issue Grace has.. And he just now has stopped eating the baby food.. He has had minow muscle issues and with PT he has almost had that worked out.. A Prayer for patience.. sometimes that is the rough spot.. I bet you do feel awful during her PT even though she needs it and you know she's just mad.. I can't believe how fast,well at least for me, this year has gone by.. BTW I love how her hair is growing out so pretty.. Happy 11th month birthday Baby Grace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother myself, I understand the stress of when a child does not do things we think they should be doing (ex: feeding self, holding a bottle). I studied child development in college and I remember all the times that I told parents that each child develops at his/her own pace and eventually children learn all of the skills they need. I was stressed out that my son was not walking at 15 months. He is now 20 months and he runs everywhere. Grace is a beautiful little girl who is going to meet her milestones although she may do it on her own time. I have always joked that my son was stubborn and he has done his milestones in his timing and not mine. I stressed out and then the next day he would do what I had been stressing about. I will be praying for you and for Grace. She is a survivor and she will be doing all of her milestones before you know it.
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to give unwanted advice, but I did want to let you know that my first daughter was very slow to get off the baby food and she didn't have any developmental issues to deal with. She was very sensitive to texture and just wasn't fond of "real" food. It was WELL after her first birthday that she started eating table food consistently. I have three daughters ages 5, 3, and 18 months and all three of them have still been on some baby food at one. They also weren't using sippy cups consistently till after age one-they just didn't get how to drink out of them! Strangely enough, they all seemed to work out how to use a straw sippy cup before they figured out the other kind. :) Anyway, I know that you face struggles that I haven't and do an amazing job, but I just wanted to offer my experience on the food front. Our pediatrician never stressed being off baby food at any particular point. She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it's been almost a year since Miss Grace was born. She has an impish smile and look in her eye that tells me she is wise beyond her age. Blessings to you all and may God give you the patience and peace you need.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UXQRKW/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

    My son has been struggling with sippy cups too. I friend suggested these and they are very helpful! Expensive but he seems to like them better then any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beautiful Grace

    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. You are a precious and special gift, You are a special earthly angel. You are is a courageous, strong and deteremined fighter. you are a smilen champ, a brave warrior, and smilen champ. you are princess hero, a beautiful trooper, and a tough cookie. You are full of sunshine, life, spunk, and smiles. You have taught us all what we need to know about life. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, 13 other diagnosis. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/champ291 I love it when people sign my guestbook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about that deleted comment! I was just saying that you are an amazing mom and Grace is one hardworking, adorable girl. I can't believe she's almost one. Thanks for sharing your journey and your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading your blog for awhile, but don't comment. I am so in awe of our Lord and all He is doing in and through your baby girl and your family!
    I just wanted to put your mind at ease a bit. My kids have NEVER taken a sippy cup or fed themselves before their first birthday!! :) They were not behind developmentally... it was just not something they were interested in! And I never forced it! Until their 1st birthday I still snuggled with them to give them their bottle. It is a sweet precious time and as long as she is willing to let you snuggle her, DO! :) It's a mama's right! Hope this puts your mind at ease a bit!

    ReplyDelete