Psalm 139:13-16

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Progress

Yesterday, we met with Grace's teacher and some of her therapists at school to talk about her progress so far at school.  She started school at the end of October, so she's been going now for almost 3 months.

I am always anxious when it comes to discussing how Grace is doing developmentally with professionals, just because sometimes they point out delays that I haven't necessarily noticed or ones I just don't want to face.  Of course I also get excited to see how Grace is progressing, so it's definitely with mixed emotions that I went into the meeting Friday.

I want to talk here on my blog about the specifics of our meeting so that you can join with us in prayer for continued progress with specific goals in mind.  Also, this will serve to remind me of where we started and see how far Grace comes in the future. (PS I can't wait until she can run ahead of me to the car when I pick her up in the afternoons!!!)

So, what is Grace currently working on in school?  Well, she is imitating playful sounds more and more, she is engaging in cooperative play with her peers by playing with toys alongside of them, she is starting to demonstrate awareness of classroom routines (she no longer cries during transition times), she is making stepping movements in place, she is working on getting out of the w-sit position with manual cuing (eventually, we want her to just need verbal cuing), she is also working on handing objects on request and pointing with her index finger.  She has ACHIEVED demonstrating protective extension of her arms to the front and sides to improve her safety within the classroom (still working on protective extension to the back).  Eventually, she will be working on imitating body parts and using a spoon with moderate assistance.

WOW-can you say PROGRESS???!!!

At home, we will continue working on desensitization of her face (in hopes of weaning her from her beloved bottles and her eventually being independent with drinking from a straw, as well as being able to eat foods of all textures).  We will also continue working on washing her hands at the sink, getting a musical toothbrush, better balance while standing, and sitting "criss cross apple sauce".  Of course, we are working at home to meet the other goals listed above as well.

On Grace's Student Action Plan, her teacher wrote this: "She has shown great progress in the first few weeks of being at TLLH and has tremendous potential to achieve her goals."  Tremendous potential---PRAISE GOD!

Please also pray for Grace to be less sensitive with sudden loud noises and quick transitions, and that she will be able to better soothe herself when she is upset (eventually without her pacifier or blanket).  Please also pray that Grace will allow the staff to give her liquids...she did drink from a straw one day, but other than that, she refuses.  I know she is thirsty!

What are Grace's other short term goals?
-place at least two rings on ring stack toy
-rotate a familiar picture upright when presented upside down
-point with index finger isolated to make choice
-drink from straw
-progress toward ambulation within classroom
-put 3 out of 5 objects in container
-bang 2 cubes together

Also-we are taking a break from Grace's walker.  She wasn't able to use it correctly, so we are going to focus on standing then come back to the walker.

THANK YOU for joining with us in prayer for our precious daughter.  We are so thankful for each of you.  And we are confident that God has big plans for our little girl.  To HIM be all the glory.  He is ABLE!

I got this dog from my parents for Christmas when I was pregnant with Grace---I never imagined she would one day play with it!

I love this angle

Little girl-----big plans

5 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic.. Will be praying for your requests.. She sure is an amazing girl..
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little girl---big blessings! Thanks for sharing her progress. You should be very proud of all the work you've done to help her get to this point.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's accomplished way more than I have the last 3 months. Wow! Seriously, that's a lot of work for a grown man, much less a soon-to-be-toddler. Good job, Grace! And good job, mom and dad! If they ever ask her to go on a scavenger hunt, I hear her dad knows how to do that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love reading about sweet Grace! Def a little girl with big plans. continuing to pray for her and yall. keep us updated, i love reading about your little angel!!

    ReplyDelete