Psalm 139:13-16

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vision

Grace had her second vision appointment today at our state's School for the Blind Low Vision Clinic.  Everyone there was VERY friendly, and the doctor (Dr. S) was very helpful and informative.  Grace was very cooperative (an answered prayer!).  Dr. S said she has pale optic nerves, which is causing her low vision.  He stated that she is not blind (we didn't think she was totally blind).  Unfortunately, there is no specific treatment like I had hoped; however, he did refer us for the Comprehensive Home-based Intervention Program (CHIP).  This program will serve Grace in our home to prepare her to enter the most appropriate learning environment by the time she is school age---a certified teacher will come to our house and work with Grace, as well as teach us how to work with Grace to reinforce her learning activities!  Dr. S said that he has seen children with this improve.  He also said that Grace has an astigmatism, and she may need glasses in the future to help with that.  He predicted that Grace could possibly function normally, at least until the third grade (because print usually gets smaller then).  He also doesn't think she will need any assistive devices (like a cane).  Basically, right now it is too early to tell what Grace's potential will be, but we are going to do EVERYTHING we can to help her reach her highest potential!  After all of this, I should be a pretty good therapist!  :)

Can I just tell you that Grace's vision impairment has been a BIG source of anxiety for me.  I have always known that her vision was impaired.  When she was an infant, I was so afraid that she couldn't see me and wouldn't know my face.  I am so thankful for continued confirmation of Grace's visual ability.  I know she will overcome this obstacle in her life, just like she has done in the past!

And for your viewing pleasure...the princess!


2 comments:

  1. Karen,

    Reading your post,I have a suggestion. You said they referred you to CHIPS. You may want to look into SSI. Wiley receives SSI because of his vision loss. This may be an option for Grace, especially for long term planning.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be a head full of hair now! Grace will have the best because you are working so hard to provide what she needs. Parents like you are rare jewels.♥♫

    ReplyDelete